Friday, June 19, 2009

Friday, June 19, 2009











At 4:45 a.m., the lightning and thunder were a spectacular beginning to a torrential downpour with wind and what we thought was some hail. Turned out it wasn’t hail, but pine cones from the tall pine trees surrounding the cabin that were plopping down on to our deck. Sleep had eluded Joel and I for much of the night prior to the storm when Mary had come in and climbed in our bed after a nightmare about bugs. I can’t imagine why she was having a bad dream about bugs—there are only triple the amount of creepy crawly and flying things here than there are in Iowa. Joel had to get up and go help out with a computer issue at the Famous Dave’s Restaurant at 7 a.m. and I went back to sleep for a couple more hours. I’m still pretty wiped out, so I’m going to let Mary tell about the rest of our day…

This morning we went downtown and we went to all these stores. Some were cool and some were interesting. So when we get to this candy store called Tremblay’s Sweet Shop where I drooled and drooled and drooled…it was so good I had to go back. We went to the bakery store which had huge danishes that I decided I must be in heaven. And so I had to skip the ice cream and go right to the bakery. Then we went back to our cabin and we had quesadillas for lunch which were so good. We went to a restaurant called Old Hayward Eatery and Brew Pub so Ross and Daddy could eat since they were out on the boat fishing when we had our quesadillas. Then we went back to town once more and went to some stores that we didn’t see before and some that we had seen.

When we went to the candy store again I bought some candy for myself and we watched the guys making the fudge on the big marble slab. My candy was taffy from taffy town which was flavors chocolate chip, chocolate malt, and chocolate—yeah, I know, mostly chocolate. And then we showed Dad the bakery, and then he was like let’s go straight to the ice cream, because I am so hungry. And so when we got there, the name of the ice cream store was West’s Hayward Dairy. We were the first people in line to pick the choices of our ice cream. My mom got the flavor Minnesotas Nut So Goody, and my brother got the sinful something and I was thinking of getting chocolate since that’s what I usually get, but when my mom told me about the s’mores, I went straight to the s’mores and my dad got that, too. We thought our ice cream was so good, we didn’t think we could eat supper.

We went back to our cabin and went onto the boat over to Famous Dave’s Restaurant where we got t-shirts. While the grown-ups were buying their t-shirts, me and Andrew went to the arcade. Andrew was playing a hunting game, and he showed me like this stampede scene of the game and at the end of the stampede, there’s this lion that comes at you closer and closer each time you chuck this thing at it. I don’t usually play hunting games, but we were just laughing about it. Back out on the boat, me and Andrew were playing a game of gibberish words.

Ross went on a sailboat ride and mom just stayed at our cabin and read her book.

I played on the swing and then we went to Dave’s cabin for supper where we had his Chicken Wild Rice soup, Bev’s pizza, and Dave’s burgers. I ate so many pieces of pizza, I could not count. After I ate some pizza I did so many things like watching Baby Brad; playing soccer games with Andrew, Christopher, and Chris; and going crazy, while the grown-ups played horseshoes and talked.

We’re back at our cabin relaxing a bit now before we go out for our nightly bonfire. See ya tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment