Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Monday, September 14, 2009




They said it couldn’t be done.

They said we would never make it.

Okay, there was really no “they,” but MY MOTHER was certain she would never be able to make the trip in the car down to her youngest daughter’s in O’Fallon, Missouri. The last time she had been there was in 1999 when Pam’s house was just being built.

On my sister’s last visit to Iowa, I could hear the sadness in her voice as she told me that mom had never been down to see her home after they moved in. It was after that conversation that I vowed in my own mind to get our mom to my sister’s. About the first part of August I began to voice my plan out loud to Mom. At the time, I thought how perfect it would be to schedule a trip around Pam’s birthday and bring mom along as a surprise. To MY surprise, Mom was agreeable. Looking back, I believe mom never thought my plan would come to fruition.

As it turns out, Pam is always incredibly busy with the Maryville University admissions duties where she works and can’t take time off during her birthday.

I began to lose sight of my plan when I got caught up with Mary’s school schedule and helping with the school election. But something kept niggling at me that I needed to carry through with the trip.

Well, a few hundred fabrications to Pam, LOTS of reassuring and planning with Mom that we could make it, some doubts of my own, and seven and a half hours on the road, and we were arriving at Pam’s. I had made three or four calls to Pam during the course of the day with “my” progress and estimated time of “my” arrival. Mom and I were giddy with anticipation of what Pam’s reaction would be.

Pam did not disappoint. When she came around the side of the garage to greet me and saw mom in the passenger seat, it was a series of epileptic movements. First Pam did the classic double take, then her hand flew up to her mouth, her eyes grew wide and she crossed her legs and doubled over. And then like a prairie dog she dodged back and forth from her front door and back out to peer into the van at what she assumed must be a mirage. And then she began muttering, “Oh, oh, oh,” and something about needing to go to the bathroom. The planning and scheming totally became worth it at this point!!

Throughout the remainder of the night, Pam kept requesting that we pinch her as she must be dreaming. A banner on her living room fireplace mantle proclaimed “Welcome to Sister Week 2009 in St. Louis 9/14-9/18.” Pam quickly added the word “Mom” in red marker so it read, “Welcome to Mom and Sister Week.”

First on the agenda was a trip to Starbucks followed by a small grocery run. Pam then fixed us her yummy tuna melt hot dish for supper and followed it up with some delicious “homemade” ;) Nestle’s Tollhouse Cookies.

We made a list of what we wanted to accomplish during the week and then attempted to go to sleep, but instead tossed and turned due to the adrenaline still pumping through our veins.

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad the plan worked out!! Looks like a great time is being had by all. Haven't heard the word niggling used in a coons age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip!

    ReplyDelete