Thursday, May 28, 2009

Thursday, May 28, 2009



8:30 a.m. - We arrive at Hollywood Studios to see about getting in early for my 9:00 audition time.

8:45 a.m. - I have to sing outside of the park entrance gates in front of the hundreds of people waiting to go into the park (on camera with a microphone).

8:50 a.m. - I'm given a release form to sign, and we head inside the park to the American Idol Experience studio for my second audition.

9:30 a.m. - After some initial instructions, I practice and select a couple songs. I pin on my participant number and I pass audition number two in front of the producer. As the excitement and adrenaline build, so do the nerves.

9:50 a.m. - I return to the stage door entrance with the other two contestants to prepare for the first show of the day.

10:00 a.m. - After introductions and a brief explanation of what would follow, I'm ushered in for makeup and hair.

10:10 a.m. - I meet with the vocal coach for some pointers on singing my song and performing on stage.

10:20 a.m. - I talk to the green room host, drink some water and wait for the other two to get ready.

10:30 a.m. - Michele and Heather and I are taken backstage for final instructions and for the GPS trackers to be attached to each of us so the spotlight follows us on stage.

10:40 a.m. - Sound checks and our first and only rehearsal on stage.

11:00 a.m. - I'm first to sing in the first show of the day. The auditorium holds over 1,000 park guests. I am beyond nervous and not sure I will make it through Pat Benatar's "Hit Me With Your Best Shot." But the crowd is clapping and cheering me on and I rock the house.

11:30 a.m. - Standing up on the stage after we had all sung our songs, a teeny tiny part of me hoped I would win, but the rest of me didn't want to have to go through the rest of the day being more nervous about the finale show.

11:35 a.m. - I was only a teeny tiny bit disappointed when it was announced that Heather had won and would be in the 7:00 show later that night.

Noon - I can finally relax and enjoy my Disney trip.

The first part of the day seems surreal and yet amazing. Later the numbers start to sink in as I recall being told that over 200 people that try out each day are turned down. There are seven shows each day with three contestants each. When I think of the thousands of people at the park, and the fact that only 21 get a chance to sing on stage, and I was one of the 21 today--I'm in total amazement. I would never have tried out if it wasn't for my cousin Beth's encouragement and belief in me. Thanks Beth for making me try out and for an amazing experience.

The rest of the day I was in a haze and still recounting the awesome events of the morning. But there was still more to do as with any day at Disney.
Another new attraction at the Hollywood Studios is the Toy Story Midway Mania ride. We rode on that three times and also saw the High School Musical III show. Beth and Mary and I went to the Little Mermaid laser light show attraction and ate premium Mickey Mouse ice cream treats. Lunch was at the new T-Rex restaurant in Downtown Disney, and supper was all our favorites from Earl of Sandwich.

Naturally we had to attend the American Idol Experience finale tonight and vote for our favorite performer. I was so glad I had experienced the Experience and even more glad that I was just there as just an audience member instead of a competitor for this show!

No comments:

Post a Comment